Chamber extends scholarship deadline for Newton and Needham seniors
The Newton-Needham Regional Chamber is pleased to offer scholarship opportunities to two deserving students who either live in Needham or Newton and/or who attend school in Needham or Newton and who have been accepted at, and intend to attend, an accredited college or university in the next academic year. The student(s) selected will have a check (approximately $2,000) sent to their college or university to be applied toward tuition upon successful completion of their first semester.
Selection will be made by a panel of local leaders who will review all applications completed by the submission deadline of Monday, April 13, 2020 (new extended deadline). Decisions will be made based on a combination of the application’s completeness and accuracy, letter of recommendation and responses to essay questions.
The Newton-Needham Regional Chamber is a not-for-profit business organization consisting of more than 900 businesses, non-profits and other community organizations in the Newton-Needham area. For more information about our scholarship program, please contact Tiffany Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. The applicant must fulfill high school graduation requirements as part of the graduating class of 2020.
2. The applicant has been accepted to an accredited college or university and plans to attend that institution full time during the 2020/21 academic year. Students planning to take “gap years” in the 2019/20 academic year will not be considered.
3. The applicant must be either: (i) a resident of Newton or Needham, even if matriculating elsewhere, or (ii) attending high school in Newton or Needham, even if residing elsewhere.
4. The application must be submitted by the applicant and letters of recommendations by the applicant’s guidance counselor electronically to the Newton-Needham Regional Chamber at email@example.com by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, April 13, 2020.
5. The committee will determine in its discretion what criteria to apply in making the award, and what weight to give each criterion. Criteria that have been considered in the past (and that the committee anticipates will be accorded significance again this year) include the following:
- The most significant criterion in the past has been a compelling “story” that shows that the scholarship will make a meaningful difference to the candidate’s ability to finance college and that shows the candidate’s ability to overcome challenges.
- Another important consideration is whether the application shows a history of demonstrated effort (either academically, in extracurricular activities, in work, etc.), which indicate that the candidate has a good chance of succeeding in college.
- Recommendations from teachers, guidance counselors, and others who have worked with the candidate and can comment on the applicant’s character and worthiness to receive a scholarship. Note that, although the standard school guidance counsel recommendation is sufficient, it is our experience that having additional recommendations from teachers or other adults who know the applicant more personally tends to enhance the application. Also, having a recommendation from a teacher who can speak to the candidate’s academic abilities is important.
6. Children and grandchildren of employees and/or directors of the Chamber are not eligible to receive a Chamber scholarship.
7. The scholarship recipient must present proof of successful completion of their first college semester. Scholarship payment will be sent to the school to be applied towards tuition or related costs. The Newton-Needham Regional Chamber reserves the right to contact the college or university to determine the best method of payment to maximize the benefit to the recipient.
Instructions to Applicant:
Please complete the online application found at the bottom of this page along with the required Essay of 300-350 words.
A Letter of Recommendation from a teacher, employer, guidance counselor, or other person other than a relative should be submitted by them on your behalf. Up to three such Letters of Recommendation can be submitted electronically by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We strongly recommend that at least one of your Letters of Recommendation be from a person who knows you well (e.g., a teacher, coach, employer, or close family friend). It is our experience that such letters typically give the Scholarship Committee a much better sense of who you are and what your circumstances are than a general letter from a school official who might not know you as well.
All information submitted will be kept confidential.
Instructions to Guidance Counselor
We would appreciate your providing the applicant's Letter of Recommendation and a statement that the student is expected to graduate as part of the class of 2020 via email to email@example.com.
Should the applicant advance to the final round of selection, we will be reaching out for their official transcript for final consideration.
The applications are due by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, April 13, 2020.
To apply, click below to access the application.